Monday, September 16, 2013

Sephora Favorites Give Me Some Lip

This past weekend I went home for my dad’s birthday and I got surprised by mom with a gift! Of course it was a makeup one and so I had to share it with you for this Monday’s blog post. It is Sephora Favourites Give Me Some Lip Set. It retails for $30 CAD at Sephora and it is such an amazing deal! It contains 6 travel sized products as well as one full sized product (Tarte LipSurgence).

From Sephora’s website:
This set contains:
- 0.10 oz Laura Mercier Lip Glacé in Bare Pink 
- 0.07 oz Buxom® Full-On™ Lip Polish in Dolly 
- 0.14 oz NARS Lip Gloss in Turkish Delight 
- 0.08 oz Fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment 
- 0.05 oz Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Rhubarb 
- 0.10 oz Tarte LipSurgence™ Lip Luster in Glitzy


I love sets like these that let me test out different products I might not typically buy for myself. My student budget doesn't allow me to splurge on high end lip glosses or lip treatments so this set is amazing and plus it takes me forever to get through travel sized lip products! I really am a lip product junkie. I’m going to show you swatches below with all the products (don’t mind the fuzziness or glare – I’m working with an old camera that I don’t know how to work very well / it’s not the best!). 


I love how they organized the lip products from smallest to largest. Although the rose gold packaging is cute the box does get easily fingerprinted which is kind of annoying.

Swatches are in order: Sugar Rose, Laura Mercier, Buxom, Nars, Bite, Tarte

I've tried out the Fresh lip treatment before and I love it. It’s basically a super sheer lip balm treatment that feels great on the lips and smells good. It is an expensive lip balm as it retails for $26 CAD (0.15oz is the full size). Overall I feel that the travel size is still going to last me a while and this was a good choice for this set.  
I've never tried a Laura Mercier lip gloss and to be completely honest I probably never would have if it didn't come in this kit. I really am more of a high end lipstick and drugstore lip gloss kind of girl. As you can see it goes on super sheer with only the slight hint of peachy tint. The formula isn't sticky and it smells really sweet.  I think this would be a perfect topping to my MAC shy girl lipstick to give it a bit of sheen and add that slight peachy tone!

 Out of the 3 lip glosses included in the kit the Buxom full on lip polish had to have been my favourite. It’s pretty pigmented, not sticky and smells good as well. It’s just the perfect fall lip gloss and I think it would be pretty alone but particularly beautiful on top of the Bite pencil that I’ll be talking about soon. Definitely would consider purchasing these in other shades.

I've heard all the hype about the Nars lip glosses, especially this one Turkish delight which was famous for being Kim Kardashian’s lip gloss of choice. It’s a super sheer lip gloss that is extremely milky as you can see in the swatches. I’m extremely pale compared to Kim and can’t wear a super nude lip without looking dead so this lip gloss won’t be used as much as others but I think I can work with it if I don’t lay it on thick. The smell of these is kind of chemically but the formulation is pretty good.

Now this had to be my favourite of the bunch and at first I wasn't 100% sure if the colour really suited me. The Bite pencil in Rhubarb is literally my new favourite colour for fall. I love my burgundy shades but have never felt super comfortable wearing them on my lips for the fear of looking too vampy with my fair skin. Well this changed all that and I find myself wanting to wear it all the time paired with a basic eye look. The pencil feels awesome on the lips and not drying at all, although pairing it with the buxom gloss is beautiful as well if you want a glossy and fuller lip look. I had only tried Bite lipstick before and now I definitely want to go try out some more of these pigmented lip pencils! Also a bonus of this is that it is twist up and you don’t need to sharpen.

The only full sized lip product in the set is this Tarte LipSurgence in Glitzy and I find it to be extremely wearable. It has shimmer in it which you can definitely detect when it’s on but somehow it just works. I actually love the natural/shimmery look of this jumbo lip pencil. It feels super comfortable and doesn't dry out the lips. It smells like peppermint and does feel a bit tingly (in a good way) on the lips. Like the Bite pencil it is also twist up which means you don’t waste product. I’d definitely love to try more of these pencils – maybe some of the deeper shades to see how good the pigmentation is.

I’m super happy with this set from Sephora because it let me test out products that I never had tried out before and I found some new favourite formulas! $30 is not a lot for what you’re getting and it let me try out more neutral shades that maybe I wouldn't pick up on my own. Next I want to try the Sephora Favourites Give Me More Lip kit that retails for $71 CAD and contains 16 products featuring an OCC Lip Tar which is my dream lip product to try. I can’t wait to test out more products for you again soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment